We're really interested in how we can make Timing better for YOU! If you want to let us know, please fill out this survey - even if you sent us feedback before. This will help us perfect Timing for your needs.
Version 1.8 - 16.11.2016
If you are using macOS Sierra and have downloaded Timing from our website, but not moved it to the /Applications folder, Timing might not notify you about this update. In that case, please re-download the app from our website and move it from the applications folder. Thank you!
- New feature: Timing now supports the Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pros. Try the duration slider (also available from the bottom right of the app's window) to quickly filter out short activities!
Version 1.7.5 - 17.10.2016
- Improvement: Timing will no longer detect idle time when the frontmost app prevents the screen from going dark, e.g. because you are playing a video.
- Improvement: Improved reliability of automatic updates on macOS Sierra by providing the app in a signed DMG file.
- Bugfix: Further reduced AppleScript tracking. This should ensure that no apps behave differently when running Timing, in particular for Chinese users.
- Bugfix: Dragging multiple activities that started with the same text onto a project will now add all these activities to the project.
- Bugfix: In non-App Store versions of Timing, clicking recap notifications will now open the main app as expected.
- Bugfix: Fixed a crash in the menu item for Timing 1.7.4 (which was only available for a short time).
Version 1.7.2 - 22.8.2016
- Improvement: Timing now has a short onboarding flow that introduces new users to the app.
- Improvement: Timing will now track the title of emails that you are writing in Mail.app. It used to only track the previously selected incoming mail in that case.
- Improvement: The "Add Custom Activity" popover now lets you specify the activity time in seconds.
- Improvement: Timing now doesn't discard all activity information anymore if an app-specific extractor failed.
Version 1.7 - 23.2.2016
- New Feature: A pseudo-timeline! If you select "By Hour" in the title bar, Timing will now group activities by hour. That's not yet "down to the second", but much more detailed than before already. A "real" timeline will require a rewrite of the database and thus take a while, but we hope this helps bridge the gap.
- New Feature: Recap notifications. Timing will now notify you of the time spent in the past week at the start of each new week. This can be customized in the app's preferences.
- Improvement: The timeline graph will now hide e.g. empty hours at the beginning and end of the day. This makes that graph much clearer.
- Improvement: "Pause for an hour" will now pause for an hour of wall time rather than system time, so it won't accidentally pause until e.g. tomorrow.
- Improvement: Removed the "Troubleshooting" preference pane as Timing does not cause trouble anymore. Just kidding - these settings have become unnecessary over time and caused some confusion, so we removed them.
- Improvement: Pressing Cmd+T will now jump to today's data. Let us know if you would like to see hotkeys for other features as well!
- Improvements to the custom activity popover:
- The task list will now suggest tasks in a case-insensitive fashion.
- It can now be dismissed with the Esc key.
- After closing it, the focus will automatically be returned to the previous application.
- It looks better now if you are using Yosemite's dark menu bars.
- "Improvement": You will now be asked (but only once!) to rate the app after some time (or tweet about it, if you bought the app directly). We hope this is not too obtrusive and really appreciate every time you review Timing or tweet about it. It really helps!
- Bugfix: CSV entries with spaces will again be correctly escaped in "double quotes".
- Bugfix: Fixed recognition of file paths in Xcode.
- Bugfix: The minimum delay after which idle time kicks in is now 30 seconds. This avoids no activities being tracked due to the delay accidentally being set to zero.
Version 1.6.4 - 18.12.2015/23.12.2015
This update fixes the new date range picker on OS X Mavericks. Apologies for the inconvenience!
Version 1.6.3 - 18.12.2015
This update fixes an issue where Timing would not respect Safari's private mode browsing properly.
Version 1.6.2 - 7.12.2015
- Improvement: The date picker has been reworked completely! It is now located in the app's toolbar and much easier to use.
- Improvement: Timing now does not track the title and URL in Safari private windows on El Capitan and Yosemite.
- Bugfix: Fixed a crash when creating a custom activity that contained e.g. slashes or dashes.
Version 1.5.2/1.5.3 - 12.10.2015
This update of Timing improves support for OS X El Capitan, including App Transport Security and a few changes to use the new San Francisco font where it wasn't used automatically. In addition, a few minor glitches have been fixed.
Version 1.5 - 3.8.2015
Version 1.4.8 - 1.12.2014
Version 1.4.7 - 20.10.2014
This version of Timing properly removes support for OS X Lion. Version 1.4.6 already didn't support it, but that was unfortunately not displayed on the App Store.
Version 1.4.6 - 11.10.2014
This version of Timing improves compatibility with OS X Yosemite. In particular, the sidebar and graphs now have a "vibrant" look on Yosemite. A few bugs (e.g. some repeated log messages and translations not working properly) have also been fixed. If you encounter any remaining compatibility issues, please let me know!
Version 1.4.2 - 29.5.2014
Version 1.4.1 - 22.4.2014
Version 1.4 - 4.4.2014
Version 1.3.4 - 28.10.2013
Version 1.3.3 - 28.10.2013
Version 1.3.2 - 10.10.2013
Version 1.3.1 - 15.6.2013
Version 1.3 - 3.6.2013
Version 1.2.2 - 25.5.2012
This update fixes a few bugs with the custom activity popover and fades the menu item when tracking is suspended due to idleness.
Version 1.2 - 25.2.2012
- New feature: Added a dialog to manually enter custom activities (Lion only). It's available from the menu item's menu.
- New feature: Added an option to the menu item to automatically ask you to manually create activities after having been idle (Lion only).
- New feature: Timing now has an option to track whole URLs rather than just domains. See the preferences for details.
- Improvement: Significantly improved performance for large databases.
- Bugfix: Timing will now stop tracking time if another user is active via Fast User Switching.
- Bugfix: Timing won't force discrete GPUs to be enabled on newer MacBook Pros anymore.
Version 1.1.5 - 9.1.2012
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue that could lead to projects not showing the new data after activities have been dragged onto them.
- Bugfix: Fixed a possible crash.
Version 1.1.4 - 6.12.2011
- Bugfix: This version should fix a bug that might cause data loss when upgrading from an earlier version of Timing.
Version 1.1.3 - 30.11.2011
- Bugfix: Fixed an issue that lead to no data being shown at all.
Version 1.1.2 - 29.11.2011
- Bugfix: Fixed a few crashes that might occur during startup or when closing the preferences window.
- Bugfix: Made path extraction for individual files work again in Xcode 4.2.
- Improvement: Added support for Chrome canary builds..
Version 1.1.1 - 22.9.2011
- Improvement: Added a "Troubleshooting" pane to the preferences. If an application behaves strangely after installing Timing (e.g. Photoshop, InDesign, Scrivener, Intaglio etc.), use that pane to disable AppleScript tracking for that application.
- Improvement: Improved the reliability of document tracking for Photoshop.
- Bugfix: Fix a possible crash when trying to export CSV data.
Version 1.1 - 20.8.2011
- New feature: CSV export!
- Improvement: Add a preference to change or disable idleness detection.
- Improvement: Add a help article for the "General Preferences" window.
- Improvement: Hide applications with a project from the "Unassigned" project by default (see the help file mentioned above for details).
- Improvement: Add support for iTerm 2.
- Bugfix: Fix several issues with custom Terminal tracking on Lion.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug that could cause the menu item to crash on some occasions.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug that could cause the helper application not to track time at all.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug that could lead to some tracked data only be displayed properly after restarting the main application.
- Bugfix: Improve column resizing behavior, especially on Lion.
Version 1.0.1 - 27.7.2011
- Improvement: Add some more applications to the sample projects (only affects new users!).
- Improvement: Add the application icon to the menu item.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug that could cause the menu item to crash on some occasions.
- Bugfix: Fix a bug in the code that enables Terminal support.